Tuesday, October 14, 2008

In Which I Reveal That I Am an Old Lady

Today I went to Kroger for groceries - and let me just stop right here and confess that I do not actually say Kroger. I say Krogers because I am Southern and thus compelled to add S to the names of stores. Krogers. JC Penneys. Barnes and Nobles. I am happy to report that I do not say Walmarts. I'm not a complete hick!
Back to Krogers. Kroger. Whatever. Naturally, I get a brand new check-out chick. She can barely operate her register and is very busy flirting with the bag boy. Check-out chick starts ringing up my groceries and tossing them on the conveyor. I have no problem with her tossing boxes of pasta and cereal but then she tosses a bag of apples (which cost a ridiculous amount of money! Have you seen the price of apples lately!?) I ask her to please stop tossing the produce. She giggles, says "Oh, yeah, sorry" and literally drops the bag of tomatoes she is holding. They land with a splat. Bag boy thinks this is hilarious and puts them in my bag. I send Little Runner Girl to go get new apples and tomatoes. Bag boy starts loading stuff into the cart. He brilliantly puts bags of canned goods on top of the bag with the tomatoes and a bag with grapes. I talk to the twelve year old with Manager written on her name tag. She says "Y'all be careful" and goes about her business. Check-out chick and bag boy think this is the funniest thing ever. Grrr...
Call me an old fogey, but once upon a time checkers and baggers were trained in how to handle groceries properly. And they had some clue that their paychecks depended on customers.
Ah, the good old days...

3 comments:

Eric Francis said...

I am too young to remember these olden days you are talking about. Tell us more, Grandma!

Angel said...

You are so not too young, Old Timer!!!

Eric Francis said...

Pshaw, ma'am! I seem to recall you graduated high school in nineteen-hunnerd-and-oh-eighysix. You're a quadragenarian now!