Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Heat

I swear to you it is twenty billion degrees outside! Really! I am not kidding!
Ok, maybe I am kidding a little bit, but only by about three degrees. I am one of those people who is almost always cold, but this heat is just insane. As my friend Suze is wont to say "You can only get so naked."
I used to know a woman who lived in a terribly cold climate. Summers were lovely, but she paid fpr them with endless months of winters beyond my comprehension. And somewhere in the midst of winter, every year, she reached her breaking point. A terrible deppression sets in and is only relieved by a change in the weather. It is the same for me, only with reversed seasons. I live in the Beautiful South and it truly is beautiful most of the year. But, at some point every summer, it gets so hot and humid that no words can begin to describe it. Normally pleasant and polite people become rabid dogs. Nobody goes outside, lest they swoon. The lovely plants on my porch have become heat parched skeletons. One goes from air-conditioned home to air-conditioned car to ridiculously warm swimming pool.
Bleh, heat! Please let me fast forward to October!

No comments: