Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Unmatched

One of my many, many quirks (obsessive toothbrushing, near psychotic aversion to drinking out of plastic or styrofoam, etc.) is the fact the I despise folding socks. I'll fold towels, sheets, sweaters, shirts...even underwear, but I hate folding socks. Fortunately, I am married to a very sweet man. The Saint doesn't mind folding socks, so he almost always does it. Whenever he comes across an unmatched sock, I tell him to toss it in the basket because surely the other one will show up eventually.
Anyway, over the last two days I have managed the near impossible task of getting all of the laundry in the house done. This evening, because my sweet husband built a wonderful, cozy fire for us, I folded all of the laundry including....The Socks! But then (cue the Twilight Zone music) I came across the basket of unmatched socks. An entire basket full of unmatched socks!
Oh! My! Goodness! How do we have so many unmatched socks? We have 59 unmatched socks (yes, I counted them 'cause I am just that kind of girl) pining away, missing their mates, in this basket.
Some of these socks are too small for my kids. I found one of my grandfather's special socks for diabetics. He lives in Texas now and I haven't done his laundry in at least a year. Some of these socks I don't recognize and have no clue how they got into my laundry. Maybe little Sock Goblins live in the washer and steal my socks and return other people's socks in their place.
Anyway, just thought you should know...I live in the Kingdom of Unmatched Socks. And I am The Queen!

5 comments:

Eric Francis said...

http://www.holidayinsights.com/other/lostsockday.htm

Susan said...

Gonorrhea,

When your dear husband builds a romantic, cozy fire you're NOT SUPPOSED TO FOLD SOCKS!!!!! What the hell do you two do on Valentine's Day - clean the refrigerator???

Angel said...

Susan my love,
The fire was nice and cozy. The 14 year old girl, 11 year old boy and 17 year old cats sharing the rug with us sort of made the romantic part a moot point.

Eric Francis said...

Okay, I know I don't have kids so I'm not exactly an authority on this ... but can't you banish them to their rooms or sell them to passing gypsies or something?

Plus, the cats wouldn't care. I know THAT from experience.

Angel said...

I've tried selling the teenager to the gypsies. They don't want a 14 year old girl 'cause they aren't crazy. Your cats are young and frisky. Our cats are old women and fond of complaining!